Sergei Sviatchenko of Close Up And Private shared with us a piece he had published in Euroman this month: Etiquette For The Modern Classicist, A Loosely Compiled List Of Scrupulous Style Cues For Gentlemen. With his permission we're reprinting it for our readers.
1. Slim cut suits with short legged trousers go a long way.
2. Buy a pair of wingtips and loafers.
3. The Beatles sir, listen to them – and do so regularly.
4. Owning at least 3 oxford shirts has never done a man any harm.
5. Be a gentleman towards women.
6. Own several ties – n.b. four-in-hand knots only – mix things up with a bow tie.
7. Watch all movies by Andrei Tarkovsky. Re-watch them.
8. Always consider a well-fitting navy blazer with gold buttons.
9. Serge Gainsbourg looked smart in a trench coat and so do you.
10. Own a classic cashmere v-neck and a round-neck pull-over.
11. Khaki chino trousers are as essential as they are basic. Choose your pair meticulously.
12. Cherish a good relationship with your parents.
13. Sometimes looking at a nice black and white picture of your grandfather as a young man wearing his Sunday-suit can teach you more about classic style than reading 20 fashion magazines.
14. A watch – you do own one don't you? - should be flat, vintage, and have a leather band.